We installed the current beta of System Center Essentials 2010 on our production infrastructure server, an HP DL380-G4 running Windows Server 2008 R2 to find that we consumed a huge amount of disk space – so much so the server ran out of space on its C:System partition… oh and SCE didn’t report on this in its daily summary!
So a clean-up is required…
1st thing to delete was several hundred megabytes of files taken up with various language versions of MS Virtual Server 2005 binaries in:
C:Program FilesSystem Center EssentialsSCVMM 2008vs i386 & amd64
the ‘1033’ folders contain the english versions, the rest deleted
Next on the list is the SQL database files used by SCE, by default (no installation choices given, hopefully better by RTM!), these are installed into:
C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL10.ESSENTIALSMSSQL
C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSRS10.ESSENTIALS
each currently taking after about a week of SCE2010 running, some 748 & 580MB respectively!
in our case we also found another 417MB in C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100Setup BootstrapUpdate CacheKB968369ServicePack – will come back on this one, but have moved in the meantime…
and another 641MB in C:Program FilesSystem Center EssentialsHealth Service StateHealth Service Store (one in particular, the HealthServiceStore.edb at 598MB!)